Top 10 Things a WiFi Installer Does Not Want To Hear...
Here are the top 10 things (IMO) you don't want to hear from a customer when you arrive on site to install a new WiFi network (I compiled this rather quickly in a flippant moment - please don't take it too seriously...):
- Our networking guy, who was going to be helping you today, isn't available, I'm afraid he's... (choose from the following):
- On a late shift
- Off sick
- On leave
- Left the company
- Had a baby
- Buying a radiation suit
- Oh, you wanted POE ports for those APs?
- Our goods-in department has definitely received the kit, they're just not sure which part of the hospital it went to...
- Oh, we thought you were bringing the kit with you. No, we haven't received anything.
- You know that 500-person call-center where you said we might have issue with personal hot-spots? The good news is, we've introduced a policy of 'no personal hot-spots' in that area! As a sweetener, we gave all of the operatives a bluetooth headset, mouse and keyboard each. We also threw in 5 new microwave ovens for their rest area, together with 10 new security cameras to monitor all that new gear.
- We've changed out minds. We'd really like to be able to run video and voice across the network as well. Can you squeeze that in whilst you're here?
- Our CEO has a new iPad and he'd really like to be able to use it on the wireless network. I know it wasn't in scope, but it's really important...
- Well, the salesman said it would support <insert unsupported feature here>.
- We've decided we would like a bit of coverage outside of the building after all (the CEO is a smoker). Can you move a couple of APs a bit closer to the windows near the smokers area?
- The cabling guy has assured us that you'll have no issues with 120 metre cable runs...